Thursday, February 14, 2013

My 10 Favorite Romance Films

In honor of Valentine's Day, here is my list of my ten favorite love stories in film. After horror films, romance films are my second favorite genre. These are the films that tug at my heart strings the most.

10. Walk the Line


What makes me really love this story is that it is about real people. I have no idea how true it is, but to be honest, I really don't care. The romantic in me goes crazy for my favorite scene in the movie. I love the ending when he proposes to her on stage and she finally says yes. The look on his face when he says "Yeah?" just makes me want to cry. I tried to find that scene on YouTube, but they don't have it! GRRR!

9. Edward Scissorhands

Even thought he is a robot/ Frankenstein's monster-type man and has scissors for hands, how could you not fall in love with Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands. The scene above is just heart breaking. She asks him to hold her, but he says that he can't because he's afraid that he might hurt her. I love how she just goes up to him and wraps his arms around her.

8. Jane Eyre
When I first read that Michael Fassbender was cast as Mr. Rochester, I thought that it was a very peculiar casting choice because Mr. Rochester is described as an unattractive older man, which Fassy most certainly is not. When I saw this movie in theaters, I really could not care less about that. Since I read the book, I already knew everything that was going to happen, but I couldn't help but cry (I'm seriously always crying during movies) during the scene where he proposes.
 

 

 

7. A Very Long Engagement
Even though there are very few scenes when we see the two characters actually together, this is a really incredible love story. I love when love stories show them first as kids and then as older. You see this also in films like Slumdog Millionaire and Never Let Me Go. I just love the idea of two people being in love with eachother for their whole lives. I also love how Mathilde never gives up on Maneche. Even though everyone was telling her that he was dead, she knew in her heart that he was still alive.




6. The Princess Bride
I honestly don't think it is possible for someone to not like The Princess Bride. This movie is funny, extremely quotable, and has lots of great characters. It is also a story about true love.



5. Pride and Prejudice
My favorite Jane Austen novel is Emma, but I like the film version of Pride and Prejudice better than Emma. I have seen the one with Laurence Olivier as well, but I think that the Keira Knightley, Matthew McFadyen one is better. I love Pride and Prejudice because it shows how you don't choose the one you fall in love with and that it could end up being someone that you thought you hated.



4. Bright Star
I love both Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish and think that they are perfect as John Keats and Fanny Brawne. They are two people who fall in love, but cannot marry because he is a poor poet and cannot afford to marry. This movie is just full of really sweet moments with the two of them together, and then has this tragic ending. There are two moments where Fanny Brawne cries in this movie, when John has to go away with Mr. Brown, and when Mr. Brown tells her that he is dead, and I always start tearing up during both of them, especially the latter. I don't know whats more tragic, the fact that he died so young, or that they were apart when he died.



3. Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights is probably the least romantic movie on my list. Wuthering Heights isn't so much about love, but is about jealousy and revenge. Heathcliff and Cathy love eachother, but she decides that she would rather be rich than be with someone that she loves. So Heathcliff runs away, gets rich, and decides to marry her sister in law to get revenge.
Wuthering Heights is also my second favorite book (after Frankenstein). I have seen eight different film versions, including a terrible MTV version, but the 1939 version with Lawrence Olivier and Merle Oberon will always be my favorite.
 

 
2. Beauty and the Beast

Beauty in the Beast has always been my favorite Disney film. I honestly don't know if I could fall in love with a man with a big hairy bull head, but I love that Belle can.



1. Moulin Rouge and Camille


I put these two together because they are literally the same thing. Young man meets beautiful courtesean/ "kept woman" because she mistakes him for a Duke/ Baron, and they both fall in love with the woman is dying of consumption. Although she loves him very much, she is forced to make him believe that she doesn't love him, but, thankfully, he learns the truth before she dies. I love both of these movies, but Moulin Rouge is my absolute favorite romance film. It has Camille's tragic love story mixed with great songs, crazy production design, and beautiful costumes. That is why it is my tradition to watch Moulin Rouge every Valentine's Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment