Friday, June 1, 2012

My Review: Snow White and the Huntsman

I'm quite positive that it wasn't the filmmakers' intention to have me root for the villain in this movie, but I loved Charlize Theron as Queen Ravenna. I thought she was brilliant. She was insane and a total badass, and has the most amazing costumes! (I smell another Oscar win for the amazing Colleen Atwood!) I just loved every moment she was on screen and was actually really disappointed when Snow White killed her at the end. (Especially after having her give a long speech about how she can't be killed).


Many months ago when they were casting this movie, I wrote a blog post about how I really didn't want Kristen Stewart to be cast as Snow White. I really didn't know what this movie was going to be yet (I thought it would be a more traditional Disney Princess type of movie) so I thought she was an awful choice and that no one would believe that she could be considered "fairer" than the gorgeous Ms. Charlize Theron. Well casting someone as beautiful as Charlize for the queen is a problem by itself because it would be hard to find anyone who could be considered prettier than her. Of all of the actresses that were originally considered for the part of Snow White, the only one that I think could maybe have worked looks-wise was Bella Heathcote. I'm not saying Kristen Stewart is ugly or anything. She's pretty in her way, and at the end when she is wearing that gorgeous maroon dress she actually looked really lovely. I just don't think she would ever be considered fairest in the land. But...that is just my opinion.
Acting wise, however, Stewart wasn't as awful as she normally is. Usually her wooden and bland acting is a distraction for me, but there really weren't any moments in this movie where that happened. Come to think of it, though, she doesn't have all the much dialogue in this movie. I think that she has more moments looking up at the sky than she does speaking.
I am really curious about the whole Huntsman as love interest thing. Originally, it was going to be Viggo Mortensen playing the Huntsman, and he is a lot older than Kristen Stewart. I'm wondering if they changed the Huntsman to a potential love interest when Chris Hemsworth was cast. It kind of reminds me about how they changed the ending of the remake of Clash of the Titans. Originally, Perseus was supposed to fall for Andromeda, but they changed it so that the romantic interest was Io, the woman he spent most of the movie with. Changing the ending made Andromeda's character kind of pointless, and that is how the William character was in Snow White and the Huntsman. He really had no place in this story at all, and the movie would have changed very little without him. I mean, they didn't even have him in any of the advertising for this movie.
Anyways, I thought this movie was pretty cool. The special effects were amazing, especially in the Dark Forest and in the Fairy Forest. All of Colleen Atwood's costumes were stunning, and like I said before, I thought Charlize Theron was the bee's knees. I do wish that we saw more of the dwarves, though. The dwarves are played by a bunch of cool actors like Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Nick Frost, Toby Jones, and Ray Winstone. I kind of wish they had some subtitles or something for when Winstone spoke because there were a few lines where I had no idea what he said. There was a part where he said something and everyone in the audience laughed and I so was disappointed because I had no idea what he said. I missed out on the laugh. :( I was also really sad when they killed off the ginger dwarf. I thought it was interesting/ odd that they all have British accents except for Hemsworth, who has an Irish accent in this movie. I don't know why they did that, but whatever. Chris Hemsworth makes a very sexy Hunstman, and I very much enjoyed watching him swing his axe around. My rating: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion. Kristen Stewart was in no way fairer than the stunning Charlize Theron. She is indeed pretty in her own way. Maybe she was just not fit for the role of Snow White. If only Anne Hathaway were younger, she would have been perfect for the role of Snow White. She is the only girl I can think of who can at least equate Charlize Theron's character, looks-wise and all that. I also think that they only included the love interest thing when Chris Hemsworth was cast a the Huntsman because there if Viggo Mortensen were cast instead, the love interest would have been awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinion. Kristen Stewart was in no way fairer than the stunning Charlize Theron. She is indeed pretty in her own way. Maybe she was just not fit for the role of Snow White. If only Anne Hathaway were younger, she would have been perfect for the role of Snow White. She is the only girl I can think of who can at least equate Charlize Theron's character, looks-wise and all that. I also think that they only included the love interest thing when Chris Hemsworth was cast a the Huntsman because there if Viggo Mortensen were cast instead, the love interest would have been awful.

    ReplyDelete