Friday, June 8, 2012

My Review: Prometheus

I must see this movie in 3D! I just got back from a long ass car ride from Colorado, so I was going to wait until tomorrow to see this, but I wanted to see this so bad that I couldn't wait one more day! My plan was to see this in 2D today and then see it in 3D some time during the next week if I thought it was worth the extra few dollars. Well, it definitely is. I bet that this movie is going to look amazing in 3D. It is pretty awe-inspiring in 2D, so 3D is just going to make it that much cooler. This movie has the most amazing visuals. The creature design, the look of the ships, the costume design, and the look of the caves, everything was just spectacular. This movie really reminded me of why I love science fiction.
Prometheus is about a group of scientists who go to a distant planet to find alien lifeforms who they believe to be their creators. Unfortunately for them, this turns out to be a huge mistake because as soon as they land everything starts to go wrong. The cast of this movie is filled with actors I love, including two of my favorite actors, Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender, who end up playing my two favorite characters in the movie.
Charlize plays Meredith Vickers, a total hardass, and the head of the ship. She actually reminded me more of Ellen Ripley than Noomi Rapace's character did. She is someone who thinks of the crew and the mission before emotions, which is evident in the scene where she burns a man alive because he is sick. It reminded me of the scene from Alien where Ripley refuses to let John Hurt's character aboard.  I was kind of bummed that we didn't see more interaction with her and Michael Fassbender's character, David, who really owned this movie.  loved their short little parts together, even though it wasn't much. Fassbender as David was really the best performance in this movie. I would watch a movie just about the David 8 robot. Not just because I love Michael Fassbender, but because he was just amazing as that character. I loved every single moment that he was on screen. Also, the whole time I was waiting for the robot dismemberment, because you can't have an Alien movie without some robot dismemberment, where we see their white gooey blood. I was kind of disappointed by Noomi Rapace's character. She just wasn't as cool as I wanted her to be. She does, however, have this really great moment of survival where she goes in this machine that gives her an operation. It is kind of disturbing, but one of the more memorable scenes in the movie.
Although, I did really like this movie, the plot did leave something to be desired. It kind of left a lot of unanswered questions. Like, for instance, we never really find out why David puts that black stuff in Charlie's drink. Then, of course, there is the ending. After everything that happened, I could not believe what Rapace's character wanted to do next. I just wanted to yell at the screen, "MORON!" I am hoping that there is a sequel to this, though, because 1) after all that I am kind of curious for an answer too and 2) I would love a chance to see more David. My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment