Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Just Finished Reading: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I really loved this book. I started it a while ago, but then stopped reading it. Then yesterday I started over and finished it by the end of the day. I knew that the movie Blade Runner was only loosely based on this book, so I knew that it would be a lot different, but there were a few moments that were exactly the same. Like the scene where he gives the test to Racheal to see if she is an android or not (in the movie they're called replicants). It was pretty much word for word what is is in the movie. When reading this I was really trying to separate it from Blade Runner, but whenever Rick Deckart appeared in the book I couldn't not see Harrison Ford's face. And then when Roy showed up I couldn't not see Rutger Hauer. What I found to be really interesting about this book is that you could have know idea if you were an android or not. You have androids who believe that they are humans because they are imprinted with false memories. You even have humans, like the other bounty hunter who is convinced that he might be an android. In a world where robots can be implanted with false memories, how could you know for sure if you were human or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment