Monday, March 26, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

I was so excited to see this movie! It is really weird to watch a movie when you've read the book because you know everything that is going to happen, so it is almost as if you have seen it before. I've never really been a fan of book to movie series that have big fandoms like Twilight and Harry Potter, but I have definitely jumped on the Hunger Games bandwagon. I loved the book, so I knew I was going to love this movie, and I was not wrong. It was fun to watch and still really exciting even though I knew everything that would happen. There is a lot of violence that happens in the book, and think that they did a good job showing it, but still making it able to be seen by kids. A lot of people were disappointed that they didn't make it a really violent R rated movie, but considering that a big percentage of the readers can't get into an R rated movie without a parent, I knew that that would never happen. I also think that the casting was really great for these characters, especially Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. It is one thing to cast a budding young starlet in a role like this, but they picked a very accomplished Oscar nominated actress to play a girl who volunteers for the Hunger Games after her younger sister's name is called.  I also loved Josh Hutcherson as Peeta and Liam Hemsworth as Gale. I'm getting to that age (I'll be 22 next month!) where all of the actors in teen movies will be younger than me, so I kinda feel like a creeper for crushing on them. I mean jeez, I remember seeing Josh Hutcherson in Bridge to Terabithia. Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next two movies where we see more of these two, especially Gale. He really doesn't play a big role in this movie at all. I just knew what they were going to do with him though. Everytime Katniss and Peeta had a kissing scene I kept thinking, "okay, where's the Gale reaction shot? There it is!" He plays a much bigger role in the second two books, so I'm excited to see that. I do think that this movie had way to much shaky cam however, it seemed like all the smooth camera work was for places like the capitol, and the shaky camera was for places like District 12 and when things were getting rough in the Hunger Games arena, but I think that they used it a bit too much. I was getting really frustrated with it at the end when Peeta was fighting Cato. They're both blonde guys, so it was really hard to tell who was who. Speaking of the ending, although I thought that this was a good adaptation of a book, I thought that the ending was missing one of the most important plot points of the story. I could forgive the exclusion of the mayors daughter because her character isn't really that important but I can't believe that they excluded the fact that Katniss doesn't love Peeta. We know this throughout the book, and Peeta finds out that the ending that all of the kissing and love stuff was all for the cameras in order to help the two of them survive the games. But...I'm guessing that the filmmakers wanted to leave this movie with a happy ending, and save that for the beginning of the Catching Fire movie. Also, why did they have to pick the most beautiful child in the world to play Rue? As soon as I saw her face on the big screen I'm just like "oh shit, she's gonna die! NOOOO!!!!" The fact that she had the face of an angel just made it that much worse. My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment